Institutional Assessment - Accreditation and Affiliations
The University has been accredited since 1947 by the Higher Learning Commission as an institution granting the bachelor's degree, and since 1996 granting the master's degree. View details about Greenville University's current affiliation status on the Higher Learning Commission's website.
The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) has accredited GU’s education programs since 1974. The ISBE participates in an interstate licensure agreement with 37 other states and the District of Columbia.
The Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) has accredited GU’s education programs since 2014.
The Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) has accredited GU’s education programs from May 2021 through May 2028.
- Reviewed programs include those leading to initial teacher certification in early childhood education, elementary education, secondary education (biology, chemistry, English, history, math, and physics), and K-12 (physical education, Spanish, and special education).
- The accreditation does not include individual education courses the EPP offers to P-12 educators for professional development, re-licensure, or other purposes.
- Note: The K-12 Music program and master of arts degree in reading were also included but have been taught out.
Questions and inquiries should be directed to:
Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation
1140 19th St NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
School of Education Annual Reporting Measures 19/20
School of Education Annual Reporting Measures 20/21
School of Education Annual Reporting Measures 21/22
ABET - Accredited Degree Program
The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) has accredited Greenville University's engineering program since fall 2022.
ABET is the global accreditor of college and university programs in applied and natural science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology. ABET-accredited programs meet standards in how the programs prepare students to enter critical technical fields that lead the way in innovation, emerging technologies, and anticipating the welfare and safety needs of the public.
The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) has accredited Greenville University's social work program since 2018.
Briner School of Business
The International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE) has accredited GU's business programs since 2018.
- Accredited bachelor’s programs include marketing, business management, agribusiness, and accounting.
- Accredited master’s programs include business administration and management.
Greenville University is a member of various professional organizations, including:
- The American Council on Education
- The Association of American Colleges
- The Council for Christian Colleges & Universities
- The Federation of Illinois Independent Colleges and Universities
- The National Commission of Education
Greenville University is affiliated with the Free Methodist Church of North America.
Greenville University is a member of the following educational affiliations:
- The American and Illinois Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- The Illinois Association of Colleges for Teacher Education in Private Colleges
- The American and Illinois Association for School, College and University Staffing
- The Association of Christian Schools International
NC-SARA Licensure for Education and Social Work Programs
The table below shows GU programs that lead to professional licensure and GU’s status for licensure in each state. In cases where curriculum does not meet state licensure requirements, click on the hyperlink provided to view licensure requirements for that state.
Greenville University Program
Curriculum Meets State Licensure Requirements
Curriculum Does Not Meet State Licensure Requirements
Teacher Education – BS
Master of Arts in Teaching
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
Meets requirements in all 50 states and all U.S. territories.