GET YOUR COMMENCEMENT PHOTOS!

Download Commencement 2024 pictures here.

Arrow

Gen Z-ers - the diligent worker bees

Published: January 23, 2024

Author: Minh Do

A commentary on the article: “Is Gen Z unprepared for the workforce? Experts weigh in.” by Kristine Parks

Recently, Fox Business released an article about how unprepared Gen Z-ers are to be employees. Gen Z indeed possesses a different mindset than the millennial generation; we are the generation of advanced technology, trends, personal images, inner development, etc. But the will to explore and embrace ourselves should not be considered a factor that negatively affects the workforce.

Gen Z-ers - the diligent worker bees

I’m Minh Do, a Greenville University student and proud to be born as a Gen Z-er. We should never be seen as lazier than prior generations since we do not have to worry as much about surviving through wars and poverty. Before studying abroad in the States, I had to learn English intensively for an extended period of time to understand university courses here. During the semester, I hardly find any time to entertain, as the deadlines for school and working hours use up all my energy. Gen Z-ers like me not only work hard, but many work multiple jobs to support them while they take classes in pursuit of their college degrees.

There are plenty of “fishes” in the workforce “ocean,” so it is especially challenging for Gen Z-ers to stand out to employers. Besides working to develop a professional skill set and years of experience, there are factors like awards, talents, languages, social media profiles, etc., that Gen Z-ers have to compete on. We are working hard to build our skills and gain practical training to make a living out there in the workforce.

Are we prepared for the workforce? We are constantly working on ourselves and raising our professional profile. Therefore, it is a big, resounding YES! Yes, we are ready and eager to grab the opportunity and to work. We spread our resumes out everywhere because it is harder and harder to differentiate ourselves online. Even after hundreds of rejections, we continue the process.

Gen Z-ers - the diligent worker bees

I’m currently enrolled in the 3+3 engineering program between Greenville University and Washington University in St. Louis, so it is indeed an intensive journey fulfilling not only one but two majors from two different universities. At the same time, I work 20 hours a week as a resident assistant of Burritt residence hall and an assistant writer for GU’s marketing office. Many of my friends take 18 credits per semester while working.

We Gen Z-ers are aware that employers are guarded when it comes to hiring young people and may have had negative experiences in the past. However, it is not fair to stereotype an entire generation by the behavior of some. Some gen-Z-ers devote their energy and time to improve their skills and expand their experience every day.

Gen Z-ers - the diligent worker bees

Likewise, social media allows for thoughts and opinions to be spread and judged, but it should not be used to define a whole generation. Online users can easily create misconceptions and influence public opinion. So, to the experts who weigh in on my entire generation and give their opinion on our readiness for the workforce, I would invite them to meet me and some of my friends here at Greenville University, who are working hard to make a difference in the world.

Parks, K. (Jan, 2024). Is Gen Z unprepared for the workforce? Experts weigh in. Fox Business. https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/gen-z-unprepared-workforce-experts-weigh-in

Ready for your next steps?