Study Abroad and Missions

An Experience Like No Other

The story of any student starts with a desire to learn. At Greenville University, we enable students to act on that desire. Not only do you have the opportunity to learn on-campus with a top professor, or online from home, but we also provide students with an opportunity to study in locations all across the globe. GU has sent students to NicaraguaEngland, Israel, Mexico, Spain, Los AngelesNashville and many other amazing locations. We can't wait to walk alongside you as you write a story of adventure, education, and personal growth.

The World is Your Classroom

Greenville University offers a wide variety of opportunities to study abroad through partnerships with academic and missionary organizations all over the world! Serve the Lord, do an internship, perform research, maybe do some sightseeing...the possibilities are endless! Pursue your passion while immersing yourself in the culture of one of these amazing countries!

Our Nicaragua program is possible through a partnership with Students International.  This mission site is located in Masaya, Nicaragua, where they spread the Word of the Lord amidst extreme poverty. Check out the videos below to learn more!

Experience Spain Study Abroad (ESSA) is a program that is totally unique to Greenville University. Work alongside the New Light and Life Christian Community Church (La Comunidad Cristiana Nueva Luz y Vida) to spread the hope of Christ in the spiritual desert of Madrid. You will live with a host family, attend small classes with a native professor, and visit ancient and modern historical sites including the Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol, the Roman aqueducts, the birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes, and more!

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to walk where Jesus walked? During our Interterm, Greenville offers a pilgrimage to Israel to visit the actual places where the most significant events in Jesus' life took place. Sail the Sea of Galilee, pray at the Western Wall of the Temple, and touch the rock of Golgatha. With this trip, you can connect to Biblical history like never before.

Students can study at Jerusalem University College in a 2-week, 3-week, or semester-long program. The JUC campus sits just outside the walls of the Old City of Jerusalem. For more information about JUC and its programs, contact Dr. Huston.

Do you have what it takes to be an Oxford Scholar? This academically intensive program connects studentsto over 900 years of history where some of the world's greatest minds received their education. With full access to all of the ammenities as a full student of The University of Oxford, you truly have a world of information at your fingertips. This opportunity is available through Best Semester. Check out their website here!

If you stepped out of your comfort zone, who would you reach? Partner with United World Mission's Alcance program in Mexico to discover what God can do through you in Mexico City. Go for a week, a summer, or a whole year!

Registering for Study Abroad

Complete these 8 easy steps:

1. Talk to your advisor about your interest in studying abroad.

2. Email [email protected] to get more information about the application process.

3. Explore options in pre-approved off-campus study programs with Greenville University and the CCCU through Students International, GlobalEd and the Go. Ed. Study Abroad Program.

4. Apply directly with the program of choice for admittance. 

  • For Spring Semester Program - Apply by October 1
  • For Fall Semester Program - Apply by March 1

5. Look for outside scholarships and grants with funding available for off-campus study. 

6. Complete the off-campus study packet (given to you at your meeting with Faith Nava). 

7. Register in the Records Office for your off-campus study program

  • You will not be able to register until the off-campus study packet has been filled out and submitted. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the cost to attend an off-campus study program?
A. The cost varies depending on the program and its location. Students will be charged the greater of GU's tuition, room and board or the program's tuition, room, board and fees.

Q. How soon will I need to apply for a passport or student visa?
A. Typically, it takes 4-6 weeks for a passport application to be processed but we recommend that students who do not have passports apply for a passport at least 2 months before departure. 

Depending on the location and duration of an off-campus program, students may also be required to apply for a visa. For programs and countries requiring a visa, you will need one to enter and exit your destination country. To learn more about visas, visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website for more information.

Q. When would I know if I have been accepted into the program?
A. Each program has its own deadlines. Follow the specific deadline dates of the particular program for which you are applying. 

Q. What if I want to study with a non-pre-approved program? 
Attending other programs is possible, but will require more research and drive on your part. Talk with your advisor and the Provost about your interest and follow the steps listed on the Important Steps page. A consortium agreement may be required (available at the GU Financial Aid Office). You may need to withdraw from Greenville for the semester you attend a non-approved program and readmit with the Admissions Office for the semester you return to GU.

Q. Would my financial aid cover the cost of attending an off-campus study program?
A. You may receive all the state and federal aid for which you qualify. However, institutional aid (scholarships specifically given to you by Greenville University) cannot be used for non-Greenville University off-campus study program. Talk with the Director of Financial Aid about financial aid possibilities for off-campus study.

Your enrollment in an off-campus program of study that is approved for credit by Greenville University (the "home" institution) may be considered enrollment at the home institution for the purpose of applying for assistance under the Federal Student Aid programs. In such cases, a Consortium Agreement would be required. See the Financial Aid Office for more details.​