GET YOUR COMMENCEMENT PHOTOS!

Download Commencement 2024 pictures here.

Arrow

Embracing the Role of a Special Education Advocate: My Journey Back to School

Published: February 05, 2024

Author: Kasey Laughlin

As a mom with two decades of experience in the education field, the decision to return to school to earn my Special Education LBS1 endorsement wasn't just a professional choice; it was a deeply personal one. My motivation stems from our son's battle with an autoimmune disease. Autoimmune encephalitis of the basal ganglia is another name for PANDAS. PANDAS/PANS is a form of Autoimmune Encephalitis (AE) but recognizing the disease in children can be challenging because it can look like other diseases. Behavior changes are harder to distinguish in children with this disease as it can look like a myriad of other disorders. This opened my eyes to the critical need for a deeper understanding of special education and awareness was key to help educate our family as well as other families and schools.

For years, I've been an educator, shaping young minds and witnessing the diversity within classrooms and helping students. However, my journey took an unexpected turn when our son got sick at two years old. He became strep septic and was hospitalized. My husband, Michael, and I were overwhelmed after being in the hospital for weeks and him returning home with a PICC line in his arm for a month of antibiotics. He struggled throughout preschool and early elementary with his health and behavior and was misdiagnosed with many other disorders for over five years. Nothing made sense. He was finally diagnosed correctly after seeing a pediatric neurologist in Washington DC, after years of struggling in the classroom and with his health.

This autoimmune condition not only posed significant challenges for him but also illuminated the gaps in my understanding of special education. The realization hit hard that to advocate effectively for my son and navigate the complexities of his Individualized Education Program (IEP), I needed a more profound comprehension of the special education landscape. Even though the schools were helpful, I needed more information to help advocate for his sensitive needs.

In my pursuit of the Special Education LBS1 endorsement at Greenville, my primary goal was to bridge the gap between being a dedicated mom and a knowledgeable advocate. By delving into the world of special education, I wanted to decipher the intricate nuances of my son's needs and contribute to the creation of a more tailored and supportive learning environment for him. This was a new diagnosis for our family, as well as the school system.

I wanted to help build a better relationship with his teachers, support staff, and the administration within his school and the district. He was the first student that they had who had this autoimmune disease as an official diagnosis. I wanted to work together with the teachers to help them understand this disease and how it can impact learning. Six years later within our district, there are more students who have also been diagnosed with this autoimmune disease, and bringing awareness and understanding was my goal as a mom and educator.

However, my journey doesn't end there. As a teacher with years of experience, I've always been passionate about fostering inclusive classrooms. I already had my TESOL endorsement prior to wanting to add on my LBS1 endorsement. Obtaining the Special Education LBS1 endorsement not only equipped me with the tools to advocate for my son but also empowers me to better support all students, including those with special education needs and English language learners. By adding on this endorsement, it would ensure that I can contribute to creating an inclusive environment that caters to the unique needs of all students. Within a regular classroom setting, you will have students who all have different strengths, weaknesses, superpowers (I call this special education individual needs), and possibly language needs. I wanted to have the tools to help all students within the classroom and use the strategies I had learned to make their educational journey a success.

PANDAS is a rare, under recognized, neurological condition in children, characterized by an abrupt onset or worsening of obsessive-compulsive behaviors (OCD) and/or tics, along with other neuropsychiatric symptoms such as separation anxiety, sleep disturbances, behavioral regression, emotional lability, and bursts of rage/aggression during or following a Group A streptococcal infection in children. The immune system mistakenly attacks healthy brain cells, leading to a range of neuropsychiatric symptoms, including cognitive and behavioral disturbances.

As an advocate for my son and an educator committed to inclusivity, my decision to go back to school for the Special Education LBS1 endorsement was driven by a desire to make a broader impact. I firmly believe that an informed and empathetic approach to special education benefits not only the specific students targeted but enriches the learning experience for every child in the classroom. My journey back to school is a testament to the transformative power of education, not just for personal growth but for the betterment of the educational journey of all students. I can now say that, as my healthy son prepares to enter high school, his elementary and junior high years were filled with teachers, administration, staff and parents who advocated for him and helped set him up for success in the classroom. We are so proud of him and how far he has come.

I am excited about the knowledge and skills I gained within the program at Greenville University, proud that I was able to help advocate for our son and see his growth these past six years. I’m thankful that the GU faculty in the Special Education program can commit to helping teachers (and moms) create classrooms (and homes) that celebrate diversity and nurture the potential in every student.

For more information about completing your LBS1 Endorsement, please email corrine.kreamalmeyer@greenville.edu

For more information about PANDAS or PANS please visit https://aspire.care/ or https://pandasnetwork.org/

Ready for your next steps?