News - G.U. Named Safest Campus in Illinois, Fourth Safest in Nation
G.U. Named Safest Campus in Illinois, Fourth Safest in Nation
Greenville University was named the safest college campus in Illinois and the fourth safest U.S. college campus among four-year private and public institutions for 2018.
Data analysts at Niche, a research firm out of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, based the ranking on key statistics, student reviews and data from the United States Department of Education. They evaluated more than 1,300 college and university campuses in these key areas:
- Campus crime rates
- Local crime grades
- Surveys of students
- Residence hall and date violence rates
- Resident hall rape rates
- Alcohol-related arrests
- Drug-related arrests
The report noted that top-ranked colleges offer a safe and healthy environment with little or no campus crime, drugs or alcohol usage. Greenville received an overall A+ rating for campus safety.
Snapshot of G.U.'s Successful Program
Director of Campus Safety and Security Michael Lennix (pictured below) attributes the success of Greenville's program to a combination of experience, training and best practices:
- G.U. hires only persons experienced in the security field. Four of the current officers on staff have 97 years of combined experience in law enforcement and/or security training.
- Officers receive training in CPR, AED, Active Shooter, Critical Incidents and Firearms. Often they are combat experienced.
- G.U.'s security staff consistently monitors all cameras throughout campus and regularly maintains and updates database systems that control access and ensure the security of campus buildings.
- Staff also work in concert with the local police department, "clients" and the general public to resolve discrepancies, respond to inquiries and explain procedures, rules and policies.
Lennix is optimistic that Greenville University will continue to rank among the nation's most secure campuses for years to come.
You can help students embrace the Greenville University experience by funding a scholarship today. Click here and give to The Greenville University Fund.